The remainder of August

I was getting back to blogging regularly, then work got crazy busy and the last thing I wanted to do at night was sit in front of a screen. So let’s catch up.

On Thursday the 12th, Jill’s mom Sue and sister Melissa came to visit. They grabbed dinner on the way home from the airport but we got to chat after they got back (and I cleaned a little more). On Friday my Mom came over and I grilled steaks and baked potatoes while Jill made a salad.

Saturday Jill took them to Old Town Alexandria for the day while I unpacked books in the library and watched “The Pacific”. That night we all went out to Clyde’s in Reston Town Center where I had a salad. We watched “The Hangover” when we got back home, absolutely hilarious. Sunday Jill took them back to BWI to catch their flight and I continued working in the library.

Us and Sue and Melissa

On Thursday the 19th, we went to Kennedy Center to see Erin McKeown play a free show at the Millennium Stage. We hadn’t seen her in a couple years and she did lots of great songs from her excellent new album. Next we headed over to KAZ Sushi Bistro to try their Restaurant Week menu. It looked good, but I saw more things I liked off of it. The miso lobster bisque was decent, but the scallop with prosciutto, crème fraîche, and chive and the short ribs were delicious, along with sake on a stick. I would have skipped dessert, but I couldn’t pass up Guinness ice cream, very refreshing.

The next night we headed out to Manassas, had dinner at Casa Chimayo (thanks, mobile Yelp!). I’d seen it for years but it looked like a dive – turns out it’s a dive with good food. The Grande Chicken Combo was good, as well as the spicy salsa while Jill enjoyed her food and margarita very much. Our second time at the Lube was to see Ke$ha and Rihanna – when we were there the week before, Jill had mentioned she’d like to go, so when 1/2 price tix became available, I grabbed them. Ke$ha was pretty fun, but Rihanna put on quite a show. Plus she had Extreme guitarist Nuno Bettencourt playing with her, and his solos were amazing.

Saturday we had a blood alcohol content study on the deck (we had discussed the night before of not being sure what it felt like when we were at the legal limit), then Sunday enjoyed some Popeye’s at Wolf Trap before seeing Great Big Sea from the front row. They gave their all, a great mix of new songs and old.

Great Big Sea

We went right back to Wolf Trap on Tuesday the 24th, this time to see Rodrigo y Gabriela bring the metal to the Filene Center with only two acoustic guitars on a cool night. Friday the 27th brought an end to our house saga as we refinanced to get rid of our ARM. Saturday we went furniture shopping in Tysons and Leesburg, then tried out Mom’s kayak (very fun) and read most of the rest of the evening. I had to work Sunday – that wasn’t as fun. In fact, a lot of work this week, which brings us to the end of August.