Two years

Friday I was worn out, and just wanted to come home and relax. Which I did, reading the paper, and watching some of the MTV Video Music Awards. Jill was studying, finally coming down after I heated up some pizza and made a Caesar salad. Jill was wiped and went to bed, I stayed up reading for a while.

Saturday I got up around 11 and walked Illa, then made some egg sandwiches while watching some more Galactica 1980. Jill needed to pick up a copy of Friday’s lecture (on CD – kids these days) from a classmate in Arlington, so we went to the Tyson’s library booksale (Jill made out much better than me), then she dropped me off at the CD Cellar so I could raid the clearance bin (plus pick up Guster’s live CD/DVD for $6 slightly scratched). She picked me up and we scooted off. I watched the rest of the MTV Video Music Awards and the Guster DVD while reading the paper, then searching through cookbooks to decide what to do with a pork tenderloin. I decided grilled and glazed sounded good, but couldn’t decide between Asian glazed (kind of a BBQ) and Glazed Cheese (a cream cheese/whipped cream spread on top), so I made ’em both. It took a while, but I liked ’em – edge to the second one, though. We had them with broccoli, then Jill cleaned up then we watched Sideways, which we both enjoyed.

Sunday I got up around 10 and made hollandaise sauce and a bacon omelette (with hollandaise, natch) while watching Blade. Jill wasn’t in the mood for that and went out to grab a bagel. She was again studying, so I read – the paper, Entertainment Weekly, and various magazines: a couple issues of Paste, Comics Buyers Guide, Money, and Washington Post Magazine. That took most of the day, mostly out on the deck. I listened to Roger Waters in Baltimore in 1999, getting ready for him here this month. Jill finished studying and changed, then I changed.

Our anniversary was Monday, but since we had group plans that day, we’d elected to celebrate our anniversary Sunday. I’d made reservations at a local Italian place, Fiore di Luna, and we got there a little early, just before 7. The place was nearly empty and we were seated tight away. Jill ordered a bottle of pinot gris, and they brought bread. She started with asparagus soup, while I had the beef carpaccio (which she nearly chose, not knowing the beef wasn’t cooked) – both tasty, I had almost ordered the asparagus soup. Our entrees were a ravioi filled with duck (for her), and a roasted duck with polenta and a honey orange sesame sauce (for me). I’d ordered the braised lamb shank, but they’d run out, which was fine as I almost always enjoy duck, and this was no exception. The portions were appropriately sized (unusual for most Italian restaurants), so I was actually hungry for dessert. I had the apple strudel (served like an egg roll) and Jill had a chocolate moose. Both looked and tasted great. The whole meal was excellent – only con was the inattentive service (had to call the waitress several time for water refills, more bread and more wine). We were back home by 10 and had decided to make it a movie night, with possibly the strangest double feature ever: the cute and touching “Because Of Winn-Dixie” (with Dave Matthews’ movie debut), followed by the very foul but very funny “Aristocrats” (you’ll never look at Bob Saget the same way again). I also experimented with drinks, like a mango daiquiri and cranberry/cranberry vodka/sweetened lime juice mix (I guess it’s a cranberry martini), finishing off with a glass of crema catalina.

Monday we slept in again. I woke up around 11 and made eggs benedict, which Jill joined me for. After breakfast we exchanged gifts. The second anniversary was cotton, so she got me some Redskins wear and I got her some intimate apparel. She cleaned the kitchen while I went online to start some eBay auctions. I started helping her get some ready, but we ran out of time. It was the annual Labor Day Jazz and Wine festival, and we’d told Janice and Stuart we’d be there by 2:30. So of course it was close to 3 by the time we showed, and the rain had started. We saw that before leaving, and had packed appropriate rain gear. I decided not to do the tasting; I’d realized while watching Sideways that I’m not into tasting wine – I don’t mind drinking it, but I’m not picky about it (beer being another matter, of course). So I sat and watched the music (the blues of Reggie Wayne Morris being the high point) while Jill tasted and chatted, having run into a current classmate and an old classmate from Boston. The rain intensified, but I was sitting under an umbrella and it didn’t bother me. I also got a fresh tasty crab cake sandwich from a vendor. We came back and Jill realized she had a bit much, so we hung out and played with Illa ’til she felt better. We went over to Janice and Stuart’s where we hung out on the deck and chatted. We’d brought some mini-quesadillas, then we ordered some pizza from Prima. We headed home around 10 as it was a school night (what I’ve been calling them for years, but now it’s too true for us). Jill got ready for school and went to bed, while I read the paper while watching a Bonarroo documentary (best parts were the juxtaposition of Dave Matthews and Friends arriving in a huge bus vs. the Black Keys (small two man indie band) coming by van, and Trey Anastasio learning how to conduct an orchestra). Then it was later than I thought, so I went to bed.

I didn’t want to get up today, rainy mornings are the worst. I snoozed for almost an hour, then slowly made my way in, getting to work at 10. A quick lunch at work (I packed ingredients for a BLT), then a busy day (happy it’s only a 4 day week). Leftover summer chili and frozen shrimp with pasta and spinach for dinner, then Jill studied some more while I started “Ghost Dog”. Hopefully bed soon.