Going to the dogs

Friday we went to Jammin’ Java to see “Cecilia – In The Living Room”. The conceit of this show was that the band was at home in their living room, eating drinking, and playing music. It was a decent show but I don’t think it was worth $23. First, the question and answer session was very short, and it was more of a traditional first set with the girls on a couch. Then the second set was just straight electric. Also, they gave us little tickets for a glass of wine, then they had pizza delivered after the show. I thought they’d do something like that during intermission. Good concept, but I wasn’t impressed by the execution.

Saturday, we had some plans, but they fell through, so we had nothing to do and didn’t. I made breakfast, went online, and watched most of the MTV/VH1 Live 8 coverage. It was pretty good, if repetitive. I was surprised to see most of Robbie Williams and Bjork’s performances. More cursing edited than on the initial go round, and it still wasn’t complete sets, but better than before. Jill skipped it to read downstairs. After dark, I made fajitas, then Jill worked on homework while I finally finished Cerebus. I had stopped several months back with 22 issues to go. I finished by skimming Dave Sim’s essays and the “Chasing YHWH” issues where he spent most of it commenting on the meaning of passages from the Bible. Skip those and go right to the last 10 issues – at least they have a plot (though it’s mostly silly). I probably won’t keep all 300 issues, maybe discard the last 100, but I’ll worry about that later. I’ve still got a couple one offs to read before I’m done (and the new “Following Cerebus” I’ve been piling up).

Sunday we drove up to Maryland just south of Frederick to a kennel there. We met Rambler, a Malamute that we might foster. It wasn’t love at first sight for me, he’s not guy friendly. I’m not sure I’d want to adopt him, but I think I could foster him if Jill doesn’t get too attached. She was driving and didn’t want go back on 270, so I told her we could take 15 or the ferry. She voted for the ferry. We were right off 109, and it looked like we could get off at 107, or take 109 straight there. Slight mistake, as we endured about 10 miles of gravel road to get to White’s Ferry. Once there, it was an easy cross of the Potomac and home after a stop in Leesburg at Home Depot. It was ironic to note that Edwards Ferry Road is a gravel road in Maryland, but a big 4 lane road in Leesburg.

After a nice break to read the paper, we met up with my mom and dad and went to dinner at a Korean BBQ in Annandale (to celebrate Jill’s bday). The food was nice, but the waitress got upset that we weren’t cooking and turning our food fast enough. I think next time we get Korean we’ll go back to the good one in Herndon across from the Tortilla Factory (I believe it’s Yee Hwa). We went back to Mom’s and chatted before heading back home.